Senior Thesis - "Embers" - Week 14

It's the week before my last midterms! It's a bit of stressful one. I'm trying to finalize all the effects. I've been hard focused on the fire this past weekend and running it many times to get it right. I'm mostly happy with it, but it unfortunately still needs some more adjusting.


I've been tangling with the "flare-up" portion of the sequence and the shapes of the flames for that. I'm almost happy with the timing of the flare-up, I think I need to make the flare much shorter, but the shape of the flames are still too long. They appear longer in the viewport flipbooks than they do in the render, but still need adjusting. I need the shape of the flames to be much more chopped up. They are way too smooth right now.


Key: disturbance!


I have revisited a resource that someone made to show the results of different pyro settings.

I definitely needed to add some disturbance in there to help shape the flames more. I also adjusted viscosity, cooling rate, turbulence settings and the temperature attribute being fed in.


Iterations:

password: embers


Version 11 is the iteration I had the end of the weekend. It was crazy looking and the flame shapes were not appealing mainly because of the velocities being fed into the simulation. I adjust those to be shorter in length and biased towards the positive y direction. Version 16 is what I had at the end of yesterday where I'm not happy with the flame shapes.


The last short clip of the video (accidentally mislabelled) shows good improvements with the disturbance. I'm currently running another iteration with more disturbance to see the result.


Changes Going Forward:


Since this morning I have been rethinking how I want to do the flare-up. The audio I've chosen has these wonderful "piano beats" that musically serve well to time the flare. Instead of one large big flare, I want to do multiple flares that hit on the beats and affect only parts of the fire so it appears more natural and controlled.


Right now my VEX for scaling temperature over a frame range scales the attribute all over the source. My plan now is to set up a ripple of sorts using pcfind functions, distance functions and point scattering. It's a simple set up that I think will be beneficial to honing a more artistic look. attributes will be scaled based on the "ripple".


That same ripple then can be fed into the particulate simulations to scale density emission and the forces in the custom advection.